Friday, August 1, 2008

Welcome to the wonderful world of Good Eats!

Ever since I became diagnosed with Celiac Disease (back then it was still called Celiac Sprue) I have become obsessed with food. A Foodie you may say, I go to the cooking websites and constantly watch cooking shows especially those on the Food Network. I will admit that I will never be a gourmet chef but cooking for my wife and myself I do feel like I am slowly but surely make modest improvements.
Right away a person with Celiac Disease is told the restrictions of what they cant have which is Gluten. Gluten is the protein found in wheat, barely, rye and oats. When a person who is intolerant to Gluten ingests one of these four things the lining of the small intestine causes an auto immune response to attack its own body. This causes many uncomfortable symptoms such as bloating, gas, abdominal cramps and pain, diarhea, and severly itching rashes. It also leads to the permanent flating of the villi of the small intestine and can even affect the enamel of your teeth causing cavities and dental problems.
But in the almost four years I have been diagnosed I am learning that so many great new foods are out there to be discovered from all parts of the world from main street America to small villages in Riveria Maya Mexico to Thailand. I have discovered Arepas from Venezula to corn pasta from Italy. I want you to be able to sample the goodness of the new and often natural foods that are out there that we can enjoy and tastes great.
I will also try to make a recommendation a day of a product that actually tastes like or even better then the "real" counterpart. When I mean real in this blog I am referring to the original product that contains gluten.
The Cheap in this blog's title referres to the expensive nature of most gluten free and organic products. The way my personal economy is at the moment is the cheaper something is the better and we are all entitled to taste the rich flavors of more expensive products.
So lets become new friends and start to enjoy our "Cheap Good Eats."

No comments: